Thursday, October 11, 2007

Paris - Day 1 - Saturday September 29, 2007... Montmartre

I navigated my way to Montmartre, not that far from where I was staying in the hostel, but a lot nicer and with far more atmosphere! Once I arrived, I had to look like a complete tourist by studying a map to find my way to the Salvadore Dali Gallery. On the way, through narrow streets, up steep hills, tiny paved squares with trees that seemed to grow from the cobbled pavement, I relaxed as I blended into the crowd of tourists. Many a wrong turn later, I found the gallery and spent a number of hours learning more about Surrealism and Dali's influence on the art world. I was amazed that we were allowed to take photos of the artworks. My favourites were the Alice in Wonderland illustrations and Dali's floppy clock sculptures.
After the gallery I explored more of the streets and found street performers and artists wanting to draw a caricature of anyone who passed... again, I had to say, "non, merci" over and over again!
I found my way to Basilique du Sacré-Cœur (Basilica of the Sacred Heart), the church on the hill in Montmartre. Inside, you have to be silent. I actually felt something strange when I saw all the candles lit for all the saints inside the church, it was quite magical. I'm not a religious person at all but I did really like the quietness and solemnity of the church, despite the thousands of tourists. For the first time in Paris I also felt very safe.
In Montmartre, being traditionally an artists district, I found many fabric shops. Upon reflection, I wish I had bought some to take home - there was one that was white cotton with a print of sketched bathtubs... That was definitely my favourite.
I then walked for ages to see the Moulin Rouge... and was sadly disappointed... I guess at night it would be better, but it is a venue for semi-naked showgirls, which is fine, and if I had a spare $150 dollars and a friend to giggle with, I would have gone and had a few champagnes and a look-see inside... I hear the decor and costumes are amazing. However, with a lack of cash (or so I thought) and a lack of company, I just photographed the outside and moved on. (My Paris photos are yet to arrive from London, after a memory card debarcle.)
I remember walking for such a long time, admiring all the Parisians on bicycles scooting up the paths on the hire bikes which are everywhere - a result of the Mayor of Paris wanting to reduce the use of motor vehicles by 40%. The hire bikes ("velibe") are available only if you have a credit card with a chip (Europeans have these, Aussies do not!) and it can be quite cheap.
I popped into a lot of the super-cheap department stores on the main strip in Montmartre, which I hear are every Parisian's bargain-hunting shame. Still worrying about my money, I decided against buying anything, much to my annoyance later when I found out I was working at way under my "budget"!
I braved the Metro out the Puces St Ouen (the flea markets) and wandered for hours, buying a few little gifts for family & friends, and then I stumbled on the antique markets... Oh... French antique furniture... what else did I need?! (Except a new pair of feet or someone to carry me!) Can't wait to post the pics to show what was on offer. Obviously I couldn't buy anything - I could hardly bring back an antique chair to Australia, could I?!
The blisters on my feet were taking their toll so I battled my way back to the hostel on the Metro to read my book quietly and hopefully make some friends...

No comments: