Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Blogsville and Other Thoughts

I've been perusing some new blogs and have come across some new pages of dedication and loveliness -
  • Bluebird Makes Her Nest - by a lovely lady named Tamara who writes about her children, her craft, her businesses and her journeys in blogsville. This is my favourite (recent) post on her blog (I'll admit it, I got a little teary!)
  • Belle and Boo - by Mandy, an illustrator in the UK. I love her work, it's so adorable. She also has an Etsy store. I have this poster of her work from Frankie mag.
  • The Complete Adventures of Violet and Rose - How can I go past a blog with violet in the title?! I like this lady's crafts, especially her choices in fabrics. Cuteness.
  • Oriettacat - first of all, I like the name of her blog. Also, I like her art. It's all very cool.

I am so glad I spent time reading blogs tonight - What I should have been doing was writing my annual review in readiness for my review meeting with the principal on Thursday, so I can get a payrise - and what I wanted to do was upload my photos from our Monday night meanderings in the city last night, but I am at Jag's place and I forgot my camera and the USB cable for it! Botheration!

I have decided that my work-life balance is in fact completely unbalanced, and it's time I did something about it. Last night we discussed various things such as me honing my voice so I can sing properly, me owning a scooter (yes, I want a Vespa!), and Jag and I screenprinting for a living. I'm also considering teaching part time in order to have an extra day or two a week to fulfill my creative urges. Instead of thinking of what I can't do, I need to start thinking of what I am capable of achieving. I now know that despite being terrible at drawing, I can actually do another kind of visual art - screen printing. And that despite my sewing skills needing more practise and fine-tuning, they are skills that are improving. The key is TIME. I am very time-poor. Teaching is one of those full-time jobs that you take home with you; if it's not the corrections, planning or thinking, it's the emotional exhaustion of having relatively close relationships with so many individuals.
And whilst yes, the holidays are fantastic, it takes a few days to catch up on the normal cleaning/family/house/garden stuff, maybe go away somewhere or head to mum's for cups of tea and chats... and then in the last few days of the break I get the creative urges again... and then it's back to work!
There is space for creativity at work, in a sense, but of course there are restrictions. Today after work I was painting the sets for the school production, which was highly therapeutic, free and fun... but it meant I got home at 7.30pm, hungry and covered in paint, after being at work since 8am. Who has the energy to sew or screen print or make collages after that?! I could barely make dinner let alone be creative!

I am in one of those writing modes where I could just keep going, but I need to consider the time and the (few) people who might be reading this thinking, "come on, where are the pretty pictures?!" ... well, I'm sorry, no pictures today, just the thoughts that have been floating around my head all day...

Sweet dreams to all the night owl readers out there - I am hoping for some comments now that I am back in blogsville - they sure do make my day! xx Steph

2 comments:

Drewzel said...

My husband is a (TAFE) teacher too, and I know how much time and energy it takes out of him! Going part time is a great idea, and your screenprints ARE so fab that they're definitely worth persuing as a crafty endeavour :D
And YES to the singing and the Vespa ! I've got a motorbike, but it's in bits right now :(
As Black Flag said "Don't think about it, just do it!"

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Hi, I have just discovered your blog. Your post has struck a chord with me as I find between work and family life, the only time I get to myself is late at night when I am tired. I am trying to find more time to be creative and as a result I am getting less sleep! Love your cute badges - that would be a great activity for me to do with my 11 year old daughter. Have a great weekend, Lisa