Saturday, August 11, 2007

Friday

Yes, I'm a day late. Such was my excitement about the fact that it was Friday, I forgot to write about it!

In most Germanic languages Friday is named after Freyja, as pictured above. Freyja was a Norse goddess of Fertility. (Perhaps Fridays are good for baby-making?! Oh and speaking of babies, I love the name Freya!)

Friday is... the last day of my working week.


It is a day of relief and hope - the weekend could bring something amazing, and if not, at least it will be relaxing. Or something unexpected could happen, but it never seems as stressful on the weekend because I don't have to juggle the unexpected with work. You see, work is a very routine-driven place - schools are always based on routine - so anything unexpected can be difficult. But fun too!


Friday is the evening I relax and do what I want, usually spent by myself until I feel sufficiently chilled, then I might see James.


Friday is the day I have 2 periods off in the middle of the day and I always try to plan the lessons for the week ahead but I usually end up doing nothing resembling constructive work.


Friday, for some reason, seems most relaxed. It's the wind-down. But if there's something fun planned, it's exciting! And I always look forward to not waking up to an alarm.


Friday, well every second Friday, is after work drinks in the staffroom, where we eat chips and drink wine and debrief. It's very therapeutic.


Thank God It's Friday is a phrase often used by those of us who work the Monday-Friday week. It was also stolen for use by a large chain of "restaurants". Hmm.


After writing these entries on days of the week, I have realised that I've sadly become a person who spends basically their whole week waiting for the weekend. Is this what full time work is about? I don't remember being like this in the uni days. And in the hospitality days, weekends were my busiest time - I never said "thank god it's Friday" when I was a bartender. More often than not I would think, "can't wait til Monday", because I always had Monday and Tuesday off. I guess that was my weekend. Perhaps I really did count down to my two days off. Does this mean I am always just craving time out? I suppose this is normal - we all love to just do as we please. Hmm. Now I am feeling a bit blue and philosophical. Time for a cup of tea.

No comments: