Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thursday


Thursday is...

Thursday is named after the God Thor, the bearded god of Thunder and War. (That's pretty exciting I guess. Maybe not the war part, but thunder I am quite partial to.)
This picture shows Thor's battle against the giants by Mårten Eskil Winge, 1872


Thursday is... The second last day of the working week. Hurrah!

The busiest of my teaching days - no breaks, constant teaching & talking... exhausting! We often have meetings on Thursdays too... boring!

Thursday was the night I used to always go out when I was at uni, because I never had classes on Friday. Uni nights in local bars were notorious for cheap drinks and even cheaper crowds.

Thursday is the day when new movies are released.

The astrological sign of the planet Jupiter represents Thursday with similar names in Latin-derived languages, such as the French Jeudi. In English, this became "Thor's Day", since the Roman god Jupiter was identified with Thor in northern Europe.

Thursday is... The day I wake up and think, "thank goodness it's Friday tomorrow!"

Thursdays used to be the day I went to school and said, "we're going to the disco not tomorrow night but the next night!" in a very-excited-high-pitched-schoolgirl voice, often followed with, "what are you going to wear?!" Luckily the discos were once a month, not every weekend, or we might have wet our pants with excitement... :)

Thursday is a night we often go out for dinner or get yummy take away.

Thursday is late-night shopping in the city. When I first lived in Melbourne, aged 12, I thought this was extremely glamourous and exciting. When we moved back to the country I thought everyone in rural Victoria was so completely backwards for not having late-night shopping. Now I think they are probably just lucky.

Thursday is the night I don't do any preparation for work the next day, except tonight - I've done 2 hours of preparation for a "Circle Talk" with a class tomorrow.
Today, Thursday involved organising a totally new initiative for one class. It also involved my lovely brother/housemate cooking me vegie burritos for dinner. I came home to a sparkling clean bathroom too. What a star! Today I also had a really great chat with one of the Assistant Principals. I left work feeling good.
Thursday is often the evening I am most tired. And on that note, I will stop the Thursday post and prepare for an early night.

No comments: