Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday

Sunday is, for many, a holy or sacred day. I think it used to be far more so than it is now, but I am not religious, so I don't know for sure.



Sunday is a great day for eating breakfast out.


I also enjoy reading the papers on a Sunday, although I didn't today.


Sunday is a name I love for a girl. Or for a calf raised by hand, like mum's friend Gillian had - a lovely black calf called Sunday. Very sweet.


Sundays are for lazing around, or picnics, or phone calls to family to catch up.


Sundays are lunch-making days, grocery shopping days, planning-the-week-ahead-at-school days... A combination of rest & organisation.


Sunday Trivia:


Sunday is named after Sunne, German goddess of the sun, which is where the word "sun" also derives it's name. The Gregorian calendar repeats every 400 years, and no century starts on a Sunday. Any month beginning on a Sunday will contain a Friday the 13th.


Sunday Today:

My lovely dear best friend Mel & I spent the day wandering in search of the perfect pair of boots for her. We also saw the Drawn to the Stage exhibition which I thought was really interesting, especially seeing the initial sketches that designers come up with for sets and costumes, and then some of the finished products on display as well. Mostly it was drawings and designs but there were some 3D miniature sets too. I would love to organise for the budding set and costume designers in our Theatre Studies class to go and see it - their folios would improve dramatically (pun intended)!


I finished watching the Australian mockumentary Razzle Dazzle today as well - what a great satire of the dance world! I laughed out loud!


It reminded me of my days as a child dancer... dance teachers who wanted the limelight for themselves, mums who pushed their daughters to succeed, the daggy trophies (I still have mine, and they gave out trophies just like it in the film! Nothing has changed...), the tight hair do's and sequins, the shimmies, injuries, jetes (love that word!), eyeliner on 9 year olds, leotards and floorwork. I miss dancing. (Not sure if you can pick me in this photo... Look for the largest smile.)


Thankfully my second dance teacher was not seeking any limelight, and my mum was never pushy. She resisted the blue eyeshadow for the Grease finale in 1990, yet I convinced her that all the other girls were doing it and therefore I wanted it too! Bless you, mum, for making all those bloody costumes when you had babies under one arm and washing in the other xx




(I am recognisable by a rather large and unrulyfringe... like I mentioned earlier, nothing changes...)


















3 comments:

My Charlie Girl said...

Hey Steph! Yep, i finally updated my journal! hehe. i like how you have been writing about each day, its great! You are a dedicated blogger hehe. much love, bec xo

My Charlie Girl said...

Oh My God steph! What a small world, yeh i got to school with liz !! we get along really well....we both went into second year together this year from different schools! Shes a sweet gal!

Daydream Lily said...

I like reading the paper on Sundays! Also sitting around reading a book is good.

Ill have to watch the movie Razzle Dazzle...sounds funny!