Friday, February 8, 2008

Oh Sew Cushy

The cushion covers (above) were made by moi, from vintage sheets. They were inspired by the ones below, which were a Christmas gift from my cousin Ryn. She made them from vintage curtains. Ryn is MUCH better than me at these things and most weekends she's at Camberwell and/or St Andrews Markets selling various creations as well as bits and pieces from op-shops that she has scrubbed up nicely. My old cushions are exactly that - old - and flat, not nicely plump, but that cotton is SOOOO soft and lovely to lie against after a long day at work.
I learnt a lot while making cushion covers -
1. I can't cut in a straight line, even if my life and that of others depended on it.
2. Old sewing machines are temperamental and have issues with regulating their speed no matter how steady a foot the driver has.
3. There are a number of ways one can 'close' a cushion cover and I am not very good at any of them.
4. I like making cushion covers because they are quick & easy and they totally change the look of the lounge room in a few hours!
5. My olive green velour lounge suite (thanks to Dad & the Trading Post, $40) is a wonderful old thing and strangely, many colours complement it. Plus the couch is the BEST EVER to lie on.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Loving, loving, loving these!! That fabric is AWESOME!

spices for violet said...

Thank you!

Drewzel said...

The green ones are my fave. Well done! I gave up making cushions a while back because my dog kept sneaking them out the back and ripping the stuffing out of them.