Saturday, February 9, 2008

Snip-happy

After the recent interior-vine-removing episode, I was a bit snip-happy with the secateurs and went into the scary backyard to prune the iceberg rose that had grown outrageously criss-crossy and silly. I am always amazed at roses, how they just grow back after vicious, ruthless & unskilled pruning. I cannot take any credit for looking after this poor thing, beyond the occasional snip and a bucket of washing water here and there. It is the only decent plant in our entire backyard and seems to grow and (even flourish sometimes) without a problem.
Unfortunately the lovely pink rose my Mum gave me one Christmas has well and truly died after a hot summer of neglect in said scary backyard. She assures me she is not offended and that "at least I still have the pot" (and indeed it IS a lovely pot, on a beautiful stand no less). I guess this means I have to dig the poor thing out and lay it to rest, and perhaps start again with something new.
Anyway, after pruning the white rose without reservation, I realised there were some pretty rosebuds still intact, so I rescued them and popped them in a vase. They are now on my desk at work... cos everyone knows that all teachers need flowers on their desk!!

2 comments:

Drewzel said...

I used to be a rose fiend and pretty much had a specimen of every apricot and purplish rose you could think of. Then I moved from my house to a flat, so all my roses went to Dad's garden, where they now look super beautiful.

anyway, my point is, that if you want some plants from cuttings this winter, I'll get Dad to do some. Although you gotta promise to water 'em!

spices for violet said...

That would be GREAT! Thanks!