Friday, September 28, 2007

Oh, the fun!

Today I drove in Switzerland to a nearby town, where Jo lived with her first host family, and everything is opposite here on the road!! I freaked out a little but it was actually really fun after I got used to it.


We have spent lots of time together, more time than we have since I lived at home years ago, so it is intense and refreshing.

Yesterday we spent the day in Zurich and shopped, took lots of photos...
... went to the Frietag shop... a store full of bags and wallets made from recycled truck tarps, and the store itself is made from shipping containers stacked on top of one another...

... saw the most enormous churches...
... discovered gorgeous shops in back alleys (one that was a lot like Mikes, it's called Lilli Tulipan)Above The outside of Lilli Tulipan's... and below is the inside. We spent about an hour giggling and looking at all the pretty things...

And I bought one of the deer, below in the photo, left, under the chandelier... adorable!
We also ate (more) German food again (love it!) and walked for HOURS... We got home in the late evening after the rain washed us out of the city and onto a train.
Above: A paper goods shop we found in a back street of Zurich. We watched the lady cover some boxes and folders in old maps and pretty paper. She was very clever.

Today we went to Basel, where Jo goes to school, and I went to one of her English classes, which was such an eye-opener, seeing as I am an English teacher! After a quick tour of her school and meeting some of her friends, we battled the rain again and gave up, heading home to learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road... ah, 'twas fun!
This evening I need to do some washing and re-pack for Paris. I am catching the very fast train from Basel to Paris tomorrow afternoon and have just confirmed my accommodation in Paris, which was a HUGE relief... typically of me, I have been thinking the worst... "The hostel doesn't really exist! I will sleep on the street and be robbed!"... ha ha, but no, it would seem all is well.
At some point I will post photos but for now, I have wine to drink, cheese to eat and German to learn!! Adieu... (Photos posted on 12/10/07)

No comments: